Junior Championship: Owen Roe's 2-17 Glenelly 0 -06

Owen Roe's v Glenelly, Sunday, 13 August 2017

Junior Championship
Result: 2-17 0-06

Monday, 18 March 2019 at 06:53 PM Joe Hegarty

Junior Championship first round: Owen Roe’s 2-17 Glenelly 0-06

With a 100% record in the League so far, Owen Roe’s travelled to Páirc Mhic Siogair in Strabane to take on north Tyrone rivals, Glenelly, on Sunday in the first round of the Junior Championship. On a great day for football, a large attendance graced the immaculate surroundings of the Strabane grounds, with both sets of supporters hoping to see their side progress to the next stage of the competition.

However it was to the Leckpatrick side who got off the starting blocks quickest with a point from midfielder, Ryan Devine Mór and a second from Cathal Mc Shane. Both sets of players seemed to sizing each up with shots going astray and wayward passing. Glenelly broke their duck with pointed free from Seamus Harkin on 15 minutes. Mc Shane promptly replied with 2 points from play before Harkin found his range from play. Two missed goal opportunities from Glenelly’s Ronan O’Kane and Owen Roe’s Mc Shane within minutes of each could have changed the early complexion of the game but for now 5 more points from Ronan Mc Nulty, 2 from Mc Shane, another from Seamus Dooher and another from Mc Shane were to keep the game ticking towards the half time whistle, leaving the Roe’s side with a 7 point cushion going to the changing rooms.

Dooher opened the Leckpatrick second half account with a point but then came a blow with the loss of Conor O’Neill to a black card. Glenelly took advantage of the temporary drop in numbers when O’Kane picked off a point but Mc Shane did more than enough to cancel this when he hit the ball low past former Tyrone Minor keeper, Tim Harney. The north Tyrone side were now finding their range, Micahel Dooher and Ronan Mc Nulty using the space well in the 2 front corners to feed the attacks and Stephen Kelly, Conor Donaghey and Gerard Devine keeping things tight at the back. Further points from Mc Shane (free), Ryan Devine Mór, Gerard Devine and another 2 from play for Mc Shane were stretching the game beyond the Glenelly men’s reach, even with the loss of Devine in midfield to a straight red. Michael Nicolas pulled one back but when Ryan Mc Aleer took advantage of the gap in the Glenelly defence to hit the net for the game’s second goal, the game was all but up. Mc Shane pointed again from a free and 2 late points from Seamus Harkin and Eamon Mc Connell saw out the game to referee Donal Dorman’s final whistle.

A big thank you to all who turned out to support the team and also to Strabane who did a great job of hosting the double header!

This Sunday it’s back to League action when Owen Roe’s will host Dregish in Glenmornan. At the time of writing it’s a Seniors only fixture with throw-in at 3.45pm and as always all support is welcome!

Owen Roe’s: Andy Devine, Conor Donaghey, Stephen Kelly, Gerard Devine (0-01), Sean Dooher, Brendan Boggs (Captain), Conall Mc Cormack (0-01), Tony Devine, Ryan Devine Mór (0-02), Ryan Mc Aleer (1-00), Conor O’Neill, Seamus Dooher (0-02), Ronan Mc Nulty (0-01), Cathal Mc Shane (1-10, 0-02 from frees), Michael Dooher.

Subs: Stephen Harper for Conor O’Neill (black card), Ryan Devine (Ricki) for Michael Dooher, Gerard Mc Shane for S Dooher, Kevin O’Neill for Conor Donaghey, Ryan Mc Shane, Paul Devine, Conor Doherty, Ruairi Kelly, Barry Mc Daid.

Glenelly: Tim Harney, Conal Furey, Cathal Sheerin, Martin Kirk, Brian Mc Connell, Liam Nicholas, Shane Conway, Seamus Bradley, Kevin Mc Connell, Barry Mc Connell, Michael Nicholas (0-01), Seamus Harkin, (0-03, 0-02 from frees), Eamon Mc Connell (0-01), Ronan O’Kane (0-01), Cathal O’Neill.

Subs: Ryan Finlay for Barry Mc Connell (black card), Simon Harney, Colm Hicks, Michael Mc Grinder, Jonny Mc Cullagh, Ryan Molloy, Ciaran Kearney, Seamus Kelly and Matthew Mc Cullagh.