Owen Roe’s Progress to Junior Championship semi-final

Owen Roe's v Fintona, Sunday, 24 September 2017

Junior Championship
Result: 1-14 0-07

Friday, 15 March 2019 at 08:17 PM Joe Hegarty

Owen Roe’s Progress to Junior Championship semi-final

Owen Roe’s Senior team finally got the better of a strong Fintona challenge last Sunday in Killyclogher to set up a Junior Championship clash with Tattyreagh.

In front of a large crowd both sides played out an evenly matched first 25 minutes before the Leckpatrick side began to pull clear.

With both sides initially appearing cautious and nervous, Fintona was the first to make a mark with a pointed free from their number 14 Aaron Mc Carney. Three minutes later Owen Roe’s full back, Stephen Kelly disposed Mc Carney to find Ryan Mc Aleer. Is pass found Tony Devine who levelled. Conall Mc Cormack could have stretched the Roe’s in front but was denied by the upright. Fintona took advantage and Pauric Kelly made it 2 points. Devine again stepped up for the Roe’s and levelled again. Ryan Mór Devine was fouled and Cathal Mc Shane put the resultant free over the bar to give Owen Roe’s their lead of the game 13 minutes in but another pointed free from Mc Carney again made it all square.

A good save from the Leckpatrick keeper Ryan Mc Shane fell to Fintona but tight defending from the Roe’s saw their chance of stretching the lead slip away.

The last five minutes of the first half however saw the Leckpatrick side step it up a gear. Gerard Devine found Mc Cormack who released to Cathal Mc Shane who duly pointed followed up quickly by another from Mc Aleer. Into injury time the energetic Stephen Kelly made a burst out of defence, played a 1-2 with Ronan Mc Nulty with Kelly fisting over for a point. A foul on Mc Shane saw him take a quick free to the in-running Michael Dooher who promptly toe-tapped to the net for the game’s only goal. Fintona’s luck was only to get worse when the referee adjudged their number 11, Sean Connolly, to have committed a red card offence just seconds from the half time whistle. Owen Roe’s now had a 1-06 to 0-03 cushion and an extra man advantage going in at the break.

From the throw-in Mc Shane and Seamus Dooher pointed from play but Fintona relied with 2 of their own, both of which came from frees from Mc Carney.

A free from Mc Shane found his older brother Gerard who pointed before Cathal Starrs made it 6 for Fintona. Dooher again got on the scoresheet when a good run by defender Gerard Devine found Mc Shane who quickly passed to his number 12. Mc Cormack could have stretched the Roe’s lead further only to see his shot on goal cleared but still the north Tyrone side kept on the pressure. Gerard Devine pointed followed by another from Ronan Mc Nulty. Fintona went for a goal but Mc Shane was alert and cleared, finding Mc Nulty again to pick off his second of the game. Tony Devine and Fintona’s captain Cillian Mc Cann traded points before another late Fintona attempt on goal went wide of the far post. With time ticking away it was the Leckpatrick side who were to progress to a semi-final meeting this weekend with Tattyreagh.

Final score: Owen Roe’s 1-14 Fintona 0-07

Owen Roe’s: Ryan Mc Shane, Conor Donaghey, Stephen Kelly (0-01), Gerard Devine (0-01), Sean Dooher, Brendan Boggs (captain), Sean Mc Bride, Tony Devine (0-03), Ryan Devine Mór, Ryan Mc Aleer (0-01), Michael Dooher (1-00) , Seamus Dooher (0-02), Ronan Mc Nulty (0-02), Cathal Mc Shane (0-03, 0-01 from a free), Conall Mc Cormack.

Subs used: Gerard Mc Shane (0-01) for Sean Mc Bride, Kevin O’Neill for Sean Dooher, Stephen Harper for Ryan Mc Aleer, Aidan Christy for Gerard Devine, Mark O’Neill for Ryan Devine Mór.