Owen Roe’s Reserves make it a League triple crown!

Owen Roe's v Drumragh, Saturday, 28 October 2017

Reserve League play-off
Result: 2-12 1-06

Monday, 11 March 2019 at 04:00 AM Joe Hegarty

With League titles already in the bag for Owen Roe’s at Senior and Ladies U-16 levels, the Club’s Reserve team made it a triple success last Saturday at Sigerson Park when they overcame Drumragh in the Division 3 League title play-off.

With both sides finishing unbeaten at the top of the table, (both sides drew when they met earlier in the season), it was to take this play-off to determine who would take the League title. Drumragh were chasing the Reserve League and Championship double while the Leckpatrick side were playing for a men’s League double so it was all to play for.

Drumragh made the early start with a goal bound shot tipped over the bar by the Roe’s keeper Andy Devine before Marty O’Neill levelled. Devine then stepped up to put the Leckpatrick side in front with a free from all of 40 yards out. Drumragh levelled again but points from Stephen Harper, Kevin O’Neill and another long distance free from Devine settled the nerves for the north Tyrone men.

Drumragh picked off another point before losing their number 9 Owen Taggart to a black card. However it didn’t faze the Sarsfield’s as they kept on the pressure and were unlucky not to narrow affairs, kicking several opportunities just wide of the posts before picking off their fourth point. Sub Ryan Mc Shane pointed for the Roe’s just before the half time whistle leaving it a 2 point game on 0-07 to 0-05.

Mc Shane opened the second half scoring for Owen Roe’s as he had finished the first half with a point. Then the Leckpatrick side stretched their advantage further. A good solo run upfield from Gerard Mc Shane ended up with that other Mc Shane finishing to the net. Mark O’Neill, Michael Dooher and Mark Kelly kicked a further 3 points. Drumragh sensed the game slipping form their grasp and when they won a free on the Roe’s 20 yard line, they took their chance to narrow and drove hard to go for goal only to see the ball come off the crossbar and go over for a point.

Drumragh’s resolve to keep the game alive got a swift response at the other end when Michael Dooher bagged for the Roe’s second goal but it was short lived when referee Cathal Kearney awarded the Sarsfield’s a penalty, neatly put past Devine. With 6 minutes still to play there was still time for Drumragh to push on. A point from Mark Kelly at one end was answered with another rocket of a kick from a free headed goal bound but the Roe’s defence were alert and cleared the ball on the line to see them to the full-time whistle and lift a first Reserve League title since 1992! Full-time score Owen Roe’s 2-12 Drumragh 1-06.

Owen Roe’s: Andy Devine (0-02 from frees), Ruari Boylan, Aidan Christy, Conor Doherty, Conall Mc Cormack, Kevin O’Neill (0-01), Sean Mc Bride, Conor Devine, Gerard Mc Shane, Marty O’Neill (0-01), Mark O’Neill (0-01), Ryan ‘Ricki’ Devine, Ryan Porter, Mark Kelly (0-03, 0-02 from frees) and Stephen Harper (0-01).

Subs used: Ryan Mc Shane (1-02) for Ryan Porter, Davy Harte for Ruari Boylan,  Michael Dooher (1-01) for Conor Devine, Ruari Kelly for Conor Doherty, Conn Tinney for Aidan Christy, Stephen Dooher for Marty O’Neill.