Kildress v Owen Roe's

Kildress v Owen Roe's, Saturday, 31 March 2018

Intermediate League
Result: 0-15 3-05

Wednesday, 16 January 2019 at 10:42 PM Joe Hegarty

Owen Roe’s Senior also made a long awaited return to Intermediate football after a 13 year absence on Saturday past as they made the trip to Gortacladdy to take on Kildress. The away side led for most of the contest but the guile and experience of the hosts proved crucial as they eked out a one point victory.


The Leckpatrick men could not have had a better start to life in Division 2 as they banged in a goal with just over 60 seconds on the clock, Seamus Dooher in the right place to dispatch a rasping finish past the Kildress net minder.


Matty Mc Guigan clipped over two frees to reply for the Tone’s but the away team struck for a second goal with just over 10 minutes gone.

If Dooher’s opening goal was good, Ronan McNulty’s was even better. The attacker cut in from the end line and with very little options sent a thunderbolt whizzing into the top corner of the goal.


The home side’s Des Treacy and Owen Roe’s Cathal Mc Shane traded scores as the away side did most of the running in the opening period. Mc Shane and a Conor O’Neill free ended the Roe’s scoring for the half with Mc Guigan and Adam Connolly on target for Kildress.


Late in the half Kildress were reduced to 14 men following an off the ball incident.


Half-time: Kildress 0-5 Owen Roe’s 2-3


Despite the numerical and score advantage, Owen Roe’s knew they had a game on their hands as the second half commenced, and once more within 60 seconds had found the rigging. Ronan Mc Nulty’s work rate dispossessed the Kildress keeper and O’Neill supplied the perfect finish into an empty net from out on the sideline.


However despite plenty of possession Owen Roe’s failed to trouble the scoreboard too much from that point onwards. Philip Lennon came off the bench and found range with a trio of frees early on to keep the Tone’s in touch. Marty Mc Gurk and Conor O’Neill (free) exchanged points as the game reached the melting point.


Owen Roe’s cause was not helped as they lost both midfielders in and around the midway point of the half with Tony Devine collecting a harsh black card.


Conor O’Neill nosed Owen Roe’s clear once more but Kildress timed their dip for the finish line to perfection as unanswered scores from Lennon (0-2), Mc Gurk, Conor Mc Aleer  (0-2), and Corey Holland saw them home with just a score to spare.


Owen Roe’s: Andy Devine, Connor Donaghey, Aidan Christy, Gerard Devine, Sean Dooher, Stephen Kelly, Conall Mc Cormick, Seamus Dooher (1-00), Tony Devine, Ryan Mc Aleer, Michael Dooher, Ryan Mc Shane, Ronan Mc Nulty (1-00), Cathal Mc Shane (0-02), Conor O’Neill (1-03)


Subs: Ryan Devine for Seamus Dooher (35 mins), Brendan Boggs for Tony Devine (45 mins), Gerard Mc Shane for Mc Aleer (49 mins), Stephen Harper for Ryan Mc Shane (49 mins), Seamus Dooher for Conor Donaghey (56 mins).