Owen Roe’s 3-11 Moortown 1-12

Owen Roe's v Moortown (starred), Saturday, 2 June 2018

Intermediate League
Result: 3-11 1-12

Sunday, 17 March 2019 at 05:48 AM Joe Hegarty

The Senior footballers of Owen Roe’s continued their recent run of good form with a win over Moortown St Malachy’s. It was Moortown’s first visit to Glenmornan in at least a generation and both sides should be applauded for a humdinger of a contest, played at high intensity that entertained the home crowd.
Conor O’Neill clipped over an early free after Ronan McNulty was felled with Moortown levelling a few minutes later. However Owen Roe’s regained the lead as the Doohers, Seamus and Sean combined, to allow Conall McCormick to score.
Tony Devine from distance added to the Roe’s advantage but Moortown struck back with a goal, Con Herron having raced down the right with Daniel Quinn punching home the cutback past Andy Devine.
Moortown added to their major with a Tony Quinn free as his side doubled their lead and the advantage was three within two minutes as the Lough shore side continued their purple patch.
The Leckpatrick outfit though refused to yield and came back in fine fashion. O’Neill stroked over a placed free with the same player repeating the dose from distance on 19 minutes.
To complete the mini turnaround Tony Devine collected the ball in midfield before galloping past the challenges to kick the ball to the net for a cracking score that ignited the hosts. Straight from the kick out Ronan McNulty’s soaring ball was punched over the bar cleverly by Ryan McAleer.
The St Malachy’s showed their credentials by banging over three scores on the trot to move into the lead. It was the home side though that ended the half in the ascendancy; Ryan McAleer had a free kick from distance and his booming effort curled and dipped deceiving the Moortown net minder and nestling in the top corner of the net. Moortown tacked on another point late in the first half.
The two sides had traded blows in a tight first half and the second period commenced in the same fashion.
Moortown levelled from play before Michael Dooher jinked into space to slot over. The St Malachy’s hit back again before Stephen Harper slotted over a fine score from a tricky angle.
Within sixty seconds Harper found range once more for the crucial action of the afternoon. Michael Dooher did the spade work and laying off neatly to Harper who finished with conviction to the rigging.
A fantastic score from Moortown’s corner forward kept them in touch as the destination of the ACL points remained up for grabs. However Michael Dooher was again the spade man for O’Neill to send over a well hit effort from distance.
With 8 minutes remaining Conall McCormick added to the Roe’s lead as the home side edge towards the finish line.
Quinn did get one back for Moortown but time was not on the side of the east Tyrone men, and, despite his men pulling another back, it fell to Conor O Neill at the other end of the field for the last word as his free from a challenging angle sailed between the sticks to end a cracking contest.
The only blot on the day for the home side was an injury to Seamus Dooher late one. We wish Seamus well in his recovery.
Owen Roe’s: Andy Devine, Gerard Devine, Aidan Christy, Sean Dooher, Stephen Kelly, Gerard McShane, Brendan Boggs, Seamus Dooher, Tony Devine (1-1), Michael Dooher (0-1), Ryan McAleer (1-1), Conor O’Neill (0-5), Conall McCormick (0-2), Stephen Harper (1-1), Ronan McNulty.
Subs: Conor Donaghey for Seamus Dooher (54 mins), Oisin Dooher for McCormick (59 mins), Sean McBride for Gerard McShane (59 mins)