Owen Roe's 1-08 Aghaloo 1-07

Owen Roe's v Aghaloo, Friday, 21 September 2018

Intermediate Championship
Result: 1-08 1-07

Tuesday, 25 June 2019 at 10:07 AM Joe Hegarty

A big thanks to everyone who made the trip to Healy Park last night and helped cheer the team over the line.

The Senior footballers of Owen Roe's exited the Healy Park pitch on Friday evening having secured a first Intermediate Championship victory since 2004 courtesy of a narrow one point victory over Aghaloo. The north Tyrone side had dominated large sections of the contest but were thankful to a late Ryan McShane pressure kick to seal their spot in the competition’s last eight.

The Leckpatrick side started brightly and Seamus Dooher clipped over the game’s first score after 8 minutes with Cathal McShane doubling the lead from the angle minutes later. Things were to get better for the Leckpatrick O’Neill's as the game’s first goal arrived while still in single digits on the clock.

Some slick approach play saw Ronan McNulty free up Ryan McAleer, with the Roe's half-forward coolly placing the ball past Chris Dynes in the Aghaloo net. However McAleer’s men had a number of chances go to waste to add to the lead. Dynes saved well from the industrious Stephen Harper with a number of pointed efforts going astray.

Aghaloo, while struggling to get on the ball, were more efficient with it. Just seconds after the Owen Roe's goal, Aghaloo got one of their own as Niall McElroy picked his spot past Andy Devine.

At the other end Conall McCormick banged over a well taken effort to put a major between the sides once more, with McElroy on target with a point to reduce the gap.

As the game became disjointed Cathal McShane converted a tricky placed ball from near the sideline. However once more it was McElroy who cancelled that out with his own placed ball.
Late in the half Aghaloo had their own goal chance but Andy Devine did well to save Conor Mullen’s low effort.

Half Time: Owen Roe's 1-4 Aghaloo 1-2

The men from the Monaghan border came out with more purpose in the second half with centre half-back Michael Muldoon halving the gap a few minutes into the second period. At the other end though Owen Roe's were still creating plenty. Ronan McNulty was put through on goal but Dynes was out sharp to smother the ball and save.

Aghaloo moved into the lead after 38 minutes with a dead ball from Tiarnan Donnelly and a McElroy shot dissecting the post.
Despite Aghaloo’s greater possession Stephen Kelly, Gerard Devine, Gerard McShane and co were dealing with most of what was put their way.

With a quarter of the game remaining Cathal McShane leveled up with a dead ball before sub Ryan McShane reacted sharp to gather up a bouncing ball to turn and clip over Dynes’ head to nose Owen Roe's ahead. When Cathal McShane converted a close range free it was looking like Owen Roe's would see it home.

However points from McElroy and Ruairi McGlone within seconds of each other nosed Aghaloo level once more.
Deep in added time though Owen Roe's were given a welcome late chance, and from beyond the 45 line Ryan McShane showed nerves of steel to boom the ball expertly between the sticks.

Aghaloo had the ball late but the Roe's back-line battled gamely to prevent any scorable efforts and ensure that it was Owen Roe's who reached the quarter final of the LCC Group Tyrone Intermediate Championship.

Owen Roe's: Andy Devine, Conor Donaghey, Stephen Kelly, Gerard Devine, Sean Dooher, Brendan Boggs, Gerard McShane, Seamus Dooher (0-1), Tony Devine, Ryan McAleer (1-0), Conor O’Neill, Conall McCormick (0-1), Stephen Harper, Cathal McShane (0-4), Ronan McNulty. 

Subs: Ryan McShane (0-2) for Conor O’Neill (41 mins), Aidan Christy for Sean Dooher (41 mins), Oisin Dooher and Niall McAleer for Stephen Harper and Conall McCormick (56 mins), Ronan Parker for Ronan McNulty (60 mins).