Owen Roe's 2-07 Augher 0-15

Owen Roe's v Augher, Saturday, 29 September 2018

Intermediate Championship
Result: 2-07 0-15

Friday, 23 August 2019 at 05:40 PM Joe Hegarty

After having accounted for Aghaloo in the first round of the Intermediate Championship last Friday night , the Owen Roe's Senior travelled to Pomeroy to meet Augher in the quarter final on Saturday.

With 2 minutes on the clock the Roe's were to be first out of the block on the scoresheet when Cathal Mc Shane pointed form a free. Augher replied before Mc Shane restored the lead from another free on 9 minutes. 

With the wind in their faces, the north Tyrone side were still applying themselves well to the game but for some wayward passing and timely interceptions from their opponents which saw them struggle to impose themselves scores-wise. Augher too had their own problems in the opening quarter with wayward shooting but once they got over their initial wastefulness it was they who were to impose their gameplan on proceedings. Three pointed frees from Augher's Darren Kavanagh, 2 from play Darragh Donnelly and 1 from full-forward Aidan Cassidy pushed the St Macartan's men into a 6 point lead and it wasn't until the 26th that Conor O'Neill registered the next Roe's score, this time from play. Augher held their resolve and with 2 more points from Liam Connolly and Donnelly, went into the Pomeroy clubhouse with a commanding 8 point lead. 

Augher started the second half as they finished the first with 2 points from Martin Mc Elhatton and Cassidy within the first minute. The Roe's support sensed more of the same for the remainder of the second half but the players had other ideas! Oisin Dooher was barely on the field when he picked out fellow sub Niall Mc Aleer who promptly beat Christopher Holland in the Augher nets. Kavanagh pointed again from a free but points for the Leckpatrick side from Mc Shane (2 fress) and substitute Ryan Mc Shane (1 from play and 1 from a free) left 3 points in it with 10 minutes of normal time to play. Kavanagh pointed again from a free. At the other end, Ryan Mc Shane, who was imposing himself well all over the field, dropped a sideline ball into the Augher square.with 2 cracks at goal coming off in the scramble for possession and the fight to to clear, the resulting clearance going out for a 45. The 45 drifted wide and Augher capitalized on the kickout with point from midfielder Eoghain Keenan. It was now a 5 point game with 27 minutes gone and unfortunate shooting from the Roe's were keeping them from closing the gap. Ryan Mc Shane picked off a goal on 32 minutes but referee Shane Dorrity had already checked his watch and within seconds of the kickout blew it up, leaving the Owen Roe's to fall to a 2 point defeat. 

The wind, the wides, a more efficient Augher side, an established free taker in Darren Kavanagh picking off half a dozen frees, a spirited second half fightback by Owen Roe's all made it an interesting game that could have went either way into the dying stages. Now it's back to the League with 2 away games remaining against Augher and League winners Eglish so still some football to play in 2018 for the Reserves and Seniors and a possible play-off spot up for grabs.

Owen Roe's: Andy Devine, Gerard Devine, Stephen Kelly, Aidan Christy, Sean Dooher, Brendan Boggs (C), Gerard McShane, Seamus Dooher, Tony Devine, Ryan McAleer, Conor O’Neill (0-01), Conall McCormick, Stephen Harper, Cathal McShane (0-04 - all frees), Ronan McNulty. 

Subs: Ryan McShane (1-02) for Conor O'Neill, Oisin Dooher for Conall Mc Cormack and Niall McAleer (1-00) for Stephen Harper.