Owen Roe’s 2-12 Beragh 1-12

Owen Roe's v Beragh, Sunday, 7 April 2019

All-County League
Result: 2-12 1-12

Friday, 20 September 2019 at 07:24 PM Joe Hegarty

The Senior footballers of Owen Roe’s returned to home turf on Sunday past and got their 2019 ACL campaign up and running with a hard fought three point win over Beragh. The

Red Knights were on their travels in Division 2 for the first time in many a year following their 2018 play-off triumph, and pushed the home side the whole way.


The game was barely a minute old when the scoreboard clicked into action in a blistering Beragh start. Former Tyrone minor Jack Campbell collected a long range pass and his well hit shot found the corner of Andy Devine’s net. Campbell tagged on a well taken point shortly after to illustrate how fired up Beragh were for this encounter.

Scores were plentiful in the opening half and it didn’t take Owen Roe’s long to respond. Stephen Harper jinked a yard of room and clipped over but Beragh hit back with a score from Callum Corrigan.

Cathal Mc Shane got his first score of the day on 7 minutes but Beragh responded with a well-executed free from Martin Rodgers. The home side though were about to have a purple patch with three scores in three minutes.

Conor O’Neill clipped over a free with the angle against him with Owen Roe’s earning a penalty seconds later. Mc Shane had won the ball close to goal but a high tackle saw him earn his side a penalty which he sent to the net.

The combination of Harper, and Ryan Mc Shane did the work for Owen Roe’s next score which was pointed by O’Neill, but Beragh were still up for the battle as twice in succession Rodgers split the sticks from placed kicks.

Owen Roe’s had handed home debuts to Peter O’Flaherty and Damian Mc Crossan and it was those two that combined for the Leckpatrick side’s next score which Conall Mc Cormick boomed over.

Gerard McShane added to the Roe’s tally with Conor O’Neill’s good day on frees continuing as he added another point on 24 minutes.

Ryan Mc Shane scored by taking the scraps from a 45 worked short with Johnny Woods punctuating the Roe’s scoring burst late in the half with a Beragh white flag.

There was still time for more action in added time as an intelligent pass by Harper allowed Ryan Mc Shane to score once more and deep in injury time Conor O’Neill sent over another free kick to leave Owen Roe’s four to the good at half time.

It was Campbell who repeated the dose from the first half with a well taken score on 2 minutes but scores were much harder to come by in the second half with Cathal Mc Shane replying on 41 minutes. Nonetheless Owen Roe’s had a good goal chance on 34 minutes. Stephen Harper was in on goal but Aidan Franey made a smart save.

Conor O’Neill knocked over a routine free a few minutes later but Beragh were to see fertile ground on the scoreboard in an 8 minute spell either side of the three quarter hour mark.

Oisin Donnelly was in range after a long spell of Beragh possession with further scores from Aaron Owens, two dead balls via Rodgers and another well taken effort from Campbell leaving the scores level.

Owen Roe’s were hemmed in at this point but got the boost they needed from Beragh possession. Ronan Mc Nulty pounced on a loose kick out feeding Harper who in turn found Niall Mc Aleer. The Roe’s attacker showed a cool head to slip the ball under the Beragh stopper and seal both points for the north Tyrone outfit.


Owen Roe’s: Andy Devine, Gerard Devine, Stephen Kelly, Peter O’Flaherty, Damian Mc Crossan, Ryan Mc Aleer, Conall McCormick (0-1), Tony Devine, Seamus Dooher, Cathal McShane (1-2), Conor O’Neill (0-5), Gerard McShane (0-1), Niall Mc Aleer (1-0), Stephen Harper (0-1), Ryan McShane (0-2).

Subs: Ronan Mc Nulty for Ryan Mc Shane (46 mins), Ricki Devine for Harper (56 mins).