Owen Roe’s v Pomeroy, Sunday, 16 June 2019

All-County League
Result: 2-10 2-14

Friday, 20 September 2019 at 03:26 PM Joe Hegarty

Owen Roe’s Senior team went into their home clash with Pomeroy on the back of four straight wins. However, the home side paid the price of a poor opening 12 minutes to leave themselves with too much to do despite a valiant comeback.

The Plunkett’s, fresh from their experiences in Senior football, were all zip in the first quarter and hit their first score after 30 seconds via a placed kick. Conor O’Neill floated over a reply for Owen Roe’s but the away side struck for their opening goal one minute later as a quick free caught Owen Roe’s napping and Eoin Coyle scored.

Tony Devine’s driving run allowed Brendan Boggs to clip over but once more Pomeroy’s reply was instant with a score from play. Kieran McKenna tagged on another point with Andy Devine having to be smart to dive across to deny another Pomeroy goal just prior to that.

However a Pomeroy second was coming and again it was somewhat on the soft side. Andy Devine palmed down the initial effort with Ollie Mc Creesh reacting quickest to tap in.

Pomeroy added another on 12 mins to leave the score 0-2 to 2-4 with Owen Roe’s also losing the services of full back and captain Stephen Kelly to injury to add to their woes.

Owen Roe’s eventually started to get to grip of the contest as Tony Devine and Seamus Dooher got hold of the midfield with Ryan Mc Shane and Damian Mc Crossan busy foraging as well.

The hosts could have had a goal of their own on 17 minutes as Niall Mc Aleer’s turn and shot was tipped over by the Plunkett’s stopper.

Pomeroy rallied but Owen Roe’s were on top at this stage. Conor O’Neill got his second, with a good run by Peter O’Flaherty giving Seamus Dooher the chance to clip over. Mc Aleer was involved again in the Leckpatrick’s next two points as his knock down saw Ronan Mc Nulty score, and then he fed Boggs for a well taken effort.

Indeed during this flurry of points the home side had a good goal chance. Conall Mc Cormick worked an opening but lost his footing at the worst possible time to shoot straight at the keeper.

Late in the half Pomeroy made the score 2-6 to 0-7 punishing a turnover in the Roe’s half.

Conor O’Neill scored from a dead ball at the start of the second half but crucially Pomeroy rattled back with four scores on the bounce, with another O’Neill free breaking this run.

However with 15 minutes to go the game took another turn. Conall McCormick went on a mazy run and his excellent finish nestled in the bottom corner of the Pomeroy goal. The home side almost had a second minutes later but Seamus Dooher’s shot clipped the outside of the post before going wide.

Pomeroy hit back with a point following patient build up as their efficiency in front of goal was key.

The Roe’s though did grab a second green flag with 6 minutes remaining to make the gap two. Stephen Harper’s high ball into the square fell into the top corner with Michael Dooher being a nuisance in the square.

The home side pushed hard to keep the pressure on Pomeroy but were left to rue a number of missed chances. At the other end, Gavin Goodfellow worked the opening to knock over and despite Harper responding at the other end, Pomeroy hung on and as Owen Roe’s pushed forward the away side exploited the gaps at the back to grab a late insurance point.

Owen Roe’s: Andy Devine, Peter O’Flaherty, Stephen Kelly, Gerard Devine, Sean Dooher, Brendan Boggs (0-2), Gerard Mc Shane, Tony Devine, Seamus Dooher (0-1), Conor O’Neill (0-4), Ryan McShane, Conal Mc Cormick (1-0), Niall Mc Aleer (0-1), Ronan Mc Nulty (0-1), Stephen Harper (1-1).

Subs: Damian Mc Crossan for Stephen Kelly (12 mins), Ryan Mc Aleer for Boggs (32 mins), Michael Dooher for Niall Mc Aleer (49 mins)