Newtownstewart 1-09 Owen Roe’s 1-12

Newtownstewart v Owen Roe’s, Friday, 26 April 2019

All-County League
Result: 1-09 1-12

Friday, 20 September 2019 at 03:10 PM Joe Hegarty

Owen Roe’s Seniors headed off to Newtownstewart on Friday night last in a split fixtures for the 2 adult men’s teams.

With their win last week over Cookstown the Leckpatrick side were in the mood to keep this form going but Newtownstewart were equally determined to snatch 2 League points of their own in front of their home support. Indeed it was Newtownstewart who started the stronger, a Ryan Mayse goal within seconds of the throw-in putting their guests on the back foot.

The Roe’s soon settled however and 3 points from Ronan Mc Nulty, Cathal Mc Shane and Mc Nulty again pulled them back to parity. Newtown rallied again only to see their shot at goal cleared by young Owen Roe’s corner back, Damien Mc Crossan. The resulting 45 saw a dangerous high ball floated in but snatched from above the crossbar by midfilder Tony Devine.

Ryan Mc Shane made it 4 points before Cathal Mc Shane saw an opening at goal. Mc Shane veered into the goalmouth but the Newtown keeper did well to block his effort, with the rebound giving the Tyrone player a second bite only for it to be cleared by the Newtown defence. The resulting kickout allowed Mc Shane to make amends however and he promptly lofted the ball back straight over the bar.

A sideline kick for the Roe’s found Tony Devine and a good pass to Peter O’Flaherty found Ryan Mc Shane to point his second of the evening.

Newtown replied well and picked off 3 points to make in level going down the clock to half-time but Cathal Mc Shane found his range to leave it a slender 1 point lead at the interval.  


Half-time: Newtownstewart 1-03 Owen Roe’s 0-07


Ryan Mc Aleer opened the second half with a point only for Newtown to reply twice. Cathal Mc Shane pointed again but Newtown were starting to impose themselves on the game picking off 3 points and frustrating the Leckpatrick men’s efforts, forcing mistakes and turnovers for a good 10 minute spell midway into the half.

It was now a 2 point game in favour of the hosts but Cathal Mc Shane pulled it back to 1 with a free.

With 7 minutes remaining, the luck turned the way of the visitors with Cathal Mc Shane bearing in on goal, only to be brought to ground in the big square. Mc Shane himself stepped up and neatly bagged the resulting penalty.

The 2 point advantage was soon cut to the minimum again however from a Newtown free before Mc Shane picked out sub Brendan Boggs who picked off a point and a well-taken point from corner back O’Flaherty deep into injury time left Newtown needing a goal to salvage anything from the game and giving Owen Roe’s 2 hard-won League points to take home.


Full-time: Newtownstewart 1-09 Owen Roe’s 1-12


Owen Roe’s: Andy Devine, Peter O’Flaherty, Stephen Kelly, Damian Mc Crossan, Ryan Mc Aleer (0-01), Gerard Devine, Gerard Mc Shane, Seamus Dooher, Tony Devine, Conor O’Neill, Ryan Mc Shane (0-02), Conall Mc Cormick, Ronan Mc Nulty (0-02), Cathal Mc Shane (1-05), Niall Mc Aleer.

Subs: Stephen Harper for Ronan Mc Nulty, Ryan Mór Devine for Conall Mc Cormick, Sean Dooher for Damien Mc Crossan, Brendan Boggs for Conor O’Neill.