Aghyaran 1-09 Owen Roe’s 2-09

Aghyaran v Owen Roe’s , Sunday, 19 May 2019

Reserve All-County League
Result: 1-09 2-09

Friday, 20 September 2019 at 04:16 PM Joe Hegarty

It was far from the most fluid of displays but Owen Roe’s Reserves did enough to see off a dogged Aghyaran team in Michael Dolan Park on Sunday evening. Scoring was scant in the opening half but two second half majors gave the away team the impetus to get over the line and take the points.

A score fest appeared on the cards early on as both teams split the sticks before a minute had elapsed with Conor Devine the Owen Roe’s man in range.

However this hope was unfounded as defences got on top and attackers struggled to get into the game. A quick free from the hosts on 9 mins nosed them ahead with Conn Tinney’s placed kick levelling up again on the quarter hour.

Aghyaran once more went into the lead late in the half but a Davy Harte effort cancelled that out. Aghyaran also had a late goal chance but Art Anderson in nets stood up well to deny the St Davog’s a major as the first half ended 0-3 each.

The second half commenced in the best possible way for the Leckpatrick lads. A high ball into the square was batted down by Mark O’Neill for Marty O’Neill to apply the finish to the goal. However Aghyaran were not perturbed and picked up the game’s next two points.

Conor Devine grabbed his second score shortly before the away side grabbed a critical second goal. Once more a high ball into the square ran loose. In the scramble Oran Roddy was on the spot to stab over the line.

However, back came Aghyaran, and a well hit point was followed up by a goal to leave one it, and when the hosts won the kick out it was back to level game as they converted once more.

With the game in the melting point Owen Roe’s upped the ante all around the field. Conor Mc Cay came off the bench to slalom through for a score with Connor Devine adding another.

Oran Roddy had a fine outing for Owen Roe’s and he made the lead three with a few minutes remaining. Aghyaran pulled a free back with Eamon McBride’s effort being tipped over the bar to make the lead three once more.

The home side were booming high balls into the danger zone seeking a leveller but Barry Mc Daid, Davy Harte and co were equal to the challenge. Owen Roe’s engineered a break and Paul Devine’s fine cross field pass was tapped over by Roddy. A late high ball into the Roe’s square was punched over but Owen Roe’s had enough in the tank and took the points back to Glenmornan.

Owen Roe’s: Art Anderson, Rory Devine, Rory Kelly, Barry Mc Daid, Eamon Mc Bride (0-1), Davy Harte (0-1), Paul Devine, Conor Devine (0-3), Sean McBride, Conn Tinney (0-1), Mark O’Neill. Ryan Ricki Devine, Marty O’Neill (1-0), Clarke Stephenson, Oran Roddy (1-2).

Subs: Pearse Devine for Ricki Devine (36 mins), Conor Mc Cay (0-1) for Stephenson (44 mins), Eoghain Devine for Rory Kelly (50 mins)