Newtownstewart Triumph in North Tyrone Decider

Owen Roes v Newtownstewart, Saturday, 10 October 2009

U13 League Final
Result: 2-5 to 4-4

Friday, 20 September 2019 at 11:21 PM Galvin Early

Drumquin paid host to an all North Tyrone grade 3 U13 final on Saturday afternoon, as the footballers of Owen Roes and Newtownstewart squared up. At the end of a tense and tight, affair it was the St.Eugene’s who replicated the efforts of their club’s adult footballers by lifting the title by five points.
It was Owen Roes who made the early running in the opening salvos of the game. Within three minutes Shane McNulty’s angled drive was well tipped to safety by Newtown net minder Conor Traynor. However the resulting 45 fell to Conor Devine whose pointed effort struck the post, but McNulty was alert to slam the rebound to the St.Eugene’s rigging.
Undeterred the youngsters from Páirc Naoimh Eoghain struck back to the max within sixty seconds, as the O’Neills defence was split open and Michael Corless applied the finish past the helpless Cathal Kelly.
Back came Owen Roes and Conor Devine swivelled and dissected the post for a point. The game was now swaying end to end with Newton’s Oisin Duffy, Tiarnan McNamee and Shane Ashenhurst to the fore, and Owen Roes being prompted by the efforts of Sean Dooher, Timothy O’Doherty and Aaron Boggs.
McNamee’s placed kick levelled proceedings again after 10 minutes, and this was the start of a period that would eventually win his side the contest.
With 12 minutes on the watch the Owen Roes defence were sliced open once more leaving Corless free in front of the goal, and the number 9 coolly slid the ball under the advancing Kelly. The same player tagged on a placed kick shortly after, but not before Owen Roes had some misfortune. Conor McMenamin’s rasping drive looked goal bound, but Traynor tipped the ball onto his crossbar and to safety.
As the half entered it’s final minutes, Newtownstewart were to end out on a major high. A ball across the Owen Roes square, found Corless in room, and the half forward bagged his third goal of the contest, and in injury time Newtown struck for goal number four. The industrious, and busy Oisin Duffy doing the spade work with McNamee bagging the goal.
Half Time: Newtownstewart 4-2 Owen Roes 1-1
Despite going in ten points in arrears, Owen Roes were not perturbed with memories of last week’s 11 point comeback v Moy fresh in the recollection. It was St.Eugene’s who supplemented their lead first though with the Duffy Corless axis again combining for the latter to point.
The Leckpatrick boys though were starting to up the pressure, and Michal Dooher’s placed kick cut the deficit. It was to get better for the green and reds.
A long ball into the Newtown defence was judged best by Sean Kelly, and the diminutive attacker turned and planted the ball past Traynor. Newtown had the scoring advantage but were to concede numerical advantage with 15 minutes to go, as McNamee saw red for an off the ball challenge.
Dooher’s placed kick continued the Owen Roes comeback, but Newtown’s defence was difficult to breech with Ashenhurst marshalling the back line against a frantic Owen Roes attack. The Leckpatrick side used the spare man well, as full back Aaron Boggs gallivanted forward to strike the score of the day from deep on the sideline.
Nonetheless the St.Eugene’s attack still had plenty to offer, and broke dangerously when the opportunity arose. Duffy chalked off the point his efforts merited with six minutes remaining. Indeed Piaras McSorley was unlucky too as his breakaway effort rattled the cross bar.
The clock was now in Newtown’s favour, and despite Shane McNulty’s clever turn and point it was to be Newtownstewart’s day as their back five denied the Roe’s forward unit the goal that they needed.
So despair for the youngsters from Owen Roes. However both sides can reflect on a successful campaign, and providing the healthy Drumquin attendance with an absorbing and tense encounter. Aaron Boggs, Sean Dooher and Timothy O’Doherty stood out for the O’Neills, with stand in net minder Conor Traynor, three goal Michael Corless and Oisin Duffy among those to impress for the joyous Newtown camp.
Referee: Declan McCullough (Glenelly)
Newtownstewart: Conor Traynor, Piaras McNamee, Barney Comber, David Patton, Namomhan McNamee, Shane Ashenhurst, Daryl McGuigan, Tiarnan McNamee (1-1), Michael Corless (3-2), Aidan McSorley, Piaras McSorley, Oisin Duffy (0-1), Patrick Hargan. Subs: Barry Armstrong, Darryl Devine, Cormac McNamee, Stephen Patton, Michael Hargan, Cahill Maguire, Ciaran McSorley, Malachy Coyle.

Owen Roes: Cathal Kelly, Aaron Boggs (0-1), Ryan Devine, Phillip Haughey, Sean Dooher, Timothy O’Doherty, Ryan McAleer, Conor Donaghey, Conor Devine (0-1), Michael Dooher (0-2), Shane McNulty (1-1), Conor McMenamin, Sean Kelly (1-0). Subs: Aaron McGonigle for Sean Kelly (41 mins), Eunan Hegarty for Conor Devine (21 mins), Conal McCormick, Kieran McMenamin, Kevin Cairns, Michael Devine, Jamie Conway, Paddy O’Neill, Conor Devine, Ronan Devine, Ryan Devine, , Owen McNulty, Conn Tinney, Mark McFadde