Newtown On Top

Owen Roes v Newtownstewart, Saturday, 2 June 2012

U16 Grade 2 League
Result: 1-7 to 2-10

Friday, 23 August 2019 at 01:39 PM Galvin Early

Both of these sides had already made it through to the knock out stages of the league, with this game essentially being a knock out game to keep alive the hope of home advantage in that knock out phase.

The visitors started the game keener to gain home advantage and essentially that hunger carried them over the hour. Two early scores got them up and running before Michael Dooher opened Owen Roes account after 8 minutes. The St.Eugene's tagged another score before Martin O'Neill's hard work saw him rewarded with an Owen Roes point on 12 minutes.

The visitors though were on top and a 23rd minute major was preceeded by a placed kick on the quarter mark. Dooher exchanged frees with his opposite number with Kevin Cairns also finding range from a dead ball on 29 minutes.

The closing minute of the first half though brought some drama to the game. Owen Roes were awarded a 30th minute penalty, which Michael Dooher smashed against the bar. However Dooher was fouled in the resulting scramble and earned a second spot kick.

The Owen Roes full forward made no mistake with the second effort.

Buoyed by those late scores, it was thought that the hosts would come out with the bit between their teeth in the second period. However once again Newtownstewart took control, and an early fisted point got them on their way. On 33 minutes they grabbed their second goal to stretch their lead further.

Another away point was cancelled out by Aaron Boggs, before Owen Roes got a great chance of a major. Timothy O'Doherty's shot was superby saved at point blank by the St.Eugene's stopper.

Dooher and Boggs edged Owen Roes closer to the opposition and leave a goal in it. Things looked even rosier for the Leckpatrick lads as Newtownstewart were reduced to 14 men with five minutes remaining.

However this only resulted in a more determined St.Eugene's showing and they out scored the O'Neills four to one in the remaining minutes, a Martin O'Neill free the sole Owen Roes' riposte.


Cathal Kelly, Conor McMenamin, Sean Dooher, James McKinney, Conor Devine, Conor Donaghey, Conal McCormick, Aaron Boggs (0-2), Kevin Cairns (0-1), Eunan Hegarty, Ben McCrossan, Philip Haughey, Timothy O'Doherty, Michael Dooher (1-3), Martin O'Neill (0-2). Subs: Ryan Devine for McKinney (29 mins), Ryan McAleer for Hegarty (34 mins), James McKinney for Conor Devine (57 mins).